The year was 1909 when Danish biochemist Soren Sorensen invented the Ph scale! Since then, through technological progression, scientists have come up with various improvements in the models of Ph scales and meters and today we have Digital Ph Meters to gives us the near-perfect analysis of the alkalinity in different materials. What is a Digital Ph Meter?
Digital Ph Meter is an electronic device used for measuring the Ph content, that is, the acidity or alkalinity of different materials. A rod, usually made of glass, is connected to a digital meter which records the Ph level of the understudied matter. Mostly used to study the material content of fluids, a Digital Ph Meter
is extensively used in laboratories of various industrial requirements. Principles of Digital Ph Meter
- The basic principle of a Digital Ph Meter is to measure the concentration of hydrogen ions. Acids dissolve in water to give positive hydrogen (H+) ions. The greater the concentration of hydrogen, stronger the acidic is. Similarly, the alkalis dissolve and form the negative Hydrogen ions (OH-).
- Ph value of 7 depicts a neutral solution. Therefore, pure water should have a Ph value of 7. Ph value below 7 shows an acidic nature whereas Ph value more than 7 reflects alkaline nature.
Digital Ph Meter Operation
- Meters consists of two electrodes, one glass censor electrode and second a reference electrode. It has Potassium Chloride with a Silver Chloride wire suspended into it.
- The glass electrode is immersed in the solution as a result of which the hydrogen ions move towards the glass electrode.
- The hydrogen electrodes replace some of the metal ions on the glass coating.
- The replacement causes flow of voltage across the glass bulb and is passed on to the voltmeter which amplifies the voltage value in Ph value.
- With more concentration of hydrogen ions, voltage also increases leading to increased acidity in the solution indicated by low Ph value. In case of more alkaline content, the whole process is reversed.
Digital Ph Meter are nowadays being used not only for fluid solutions but also highly useful for agricultural and soil analysis laboratories, fertilizer plants, petroleum refineries, breweries etc. Digital Ph Meter can be sourced from reliable Digital Ph Meter Manufacturers Suppliers in India.